Fall 2015 New
Dear BASD Parents and Community Members,
Welcome Back to the 2015-2016 school year!
Our district's Roadmap to Educational Excellence provides a common framework and focus for our work. We open this new school year with many exciting initiatives and projects underway that will support our unwavering commitment to "educating the whole child". Here is a sampling of some of those key initiatives:
- Our implementation of universal full day kindergarten (FDK) is the most significant and impactful educational investment for our district in many years. Years of research demonstrate the importance of early childhood education, particularly in light of the information rich and rapidly changing demands of the 21st century. A solid start to schooling is critical. That start includes ample time for students to master basic reading and math skills, a strong focus on "people skills" including collaborative learning and play along with time for curious kindergartners to simply explore. I am personally excited to have my own daughter enjoy FDK at Lincoln Elementary School this year.
- Our expansion of the highly regarded Project Lead the Way curriculum to include not only an engineering pathway but also a biomedical pathway demonstrates our commitment to STEM learning opportunities for our students.
- Our commitment to broad educational experiences for our students includes our Forging History and Community in Bethlehem curriculum based field trips in partnership with the Freemansburg Canal Education Center, Historic Bethlehem Museums and ArtsQuest.
- Construction is underway for the Nitschmann Middle School project which reinforces the district's historic commitment to West Bethlehem while also providing our community with a new state-of-the-art middle school facility.
- As a public school district, our doors are open to all students who reside in the community. The wide ranging cultural, ethnic, economic and racial diversity of our student body is one of our greatest assets. In a world connected by the internet and in a diverse global economy, our students enjoy the wonderful benefit of growing up with, learning with, and playing with a diverse group of classmates. Our district is firmly committed to equitable opportunities for all students, supported by our work with Restorative Justice, The Leader in Me, and No Place for Hate.
The Bethlehem Area School District is on the move! We are proud of our students, teachers and families and look forward to partnering with you for a wonderful 2015-2016 school year.
Joseph J. Roy, Ed.D
Superintendent of Schools