Winter/Spring 2017 New
Dear BASD Parents and Community Members,
As we move into the 2nd semester of the 2016-2017 school year, we celebrate the continued implementation and success of key initiatives that benefit our students and our community. Our district's Roadmap to Educational Excellence provides a common framework and focus for our work. Our many exciting initiatives and projects support our unwavering commitment to "educating the whole child". Here is a sampling of some of those key initiatives:
- Our Reading by Grade 3/Literacy Initiative combined with our second year of universal full day kindergarten (FDK) are the most significant educational investments for our district in some time. Years of research demonstrate the importance of building early literacy skills to lay the foundation for future educational success. We are very pleased that at the midpoint of this year, we see excellent student growth in literacy. Our kindergarten program includes ample time for students to master basic reading and math skills, a strong focus on "people skills" including collaborative learning and play along with time for curious kindergartners to simply explore.
- Our expansion of the highly regarded Project Lead the Way curriculum to include not only an engineering pathway but also a biomedical pathway demonstrates our commitment to STEM learning opportunities for our students. https://www.beth.k12.pa.us/Academics/EducationalPrograms/pltw.lasso
- Our commitment to broad educational experiences for our students includes our Forging History and Community in Bethlehem curriculum based field trips in partnership with the Freemansburg Canal Education Center, Historic Bethlehem Museums and ArtsQuest. https://www.beth.k12.pa.us/BAEF/Steel_Tour.lasso
- Construction is underway for the Nitschmann Middle School project which reinforces the district's historic commitment to West Bethlehem while also providing our community with a new state-of-the-art middle school facility. We look forward to the opening of the new school this coming August, 2017 https://sites.google.com/a/basdschools.org/nms-construction/
- As a public school district, our doors are open to all students who reside in the community. The wide ranging cultural, ethnic, economic and racial diversity of our student body is one of our greatest assets. In a world connected by the internet and in a diverse global economy, our students enjoy the wonderful benefit of growing up with, learning with, and playing with a diverse group of classmates. Our district is firmly committed to equitable opportunities for all students, supported by our work with Restorative Justice, The Leader in Me, and No Place for Hate.
The Bethlehem Area School District is on the move! We are proud of our students, teachers and families and look forward to a wonderful 2nd semester of the 2016-2017 school year.
Joseph J. Roy, Ed.D
Superintendent of Schools